• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

another GMO to be on the market in USA

I don't eat fish, but if I did I would not eat that. And I would certainly hope it'd be on the label at the grocery store (or the menu at the restaurant) that the salmon was GM. Did you know they (the gov. I guess--Honestly not too sure *who* exactly TBH) are trying to make it illegal for companies to label their product as non-GM?

A coalition of 31 [...] groups announced opposition to the approval last week, citing, in particular, concerns that the salmon could escape and possibly outcompete wild salmon for food or mates.

But AquaBounty said the fish would be grown only inland. And only sterile females will be sold, limiting any ability to reproduce. The F.D.A., in its analysis, basically agreed that the chance of escape or ecological disruption was small. The salmon “are not expected to have a significant impact on the quality of the human environment,” it concluded.
He also pointed to information in the documents suggesting that up to 5 percent of the fish might not be sterile because the process is not perfect.

So, up to 5% may not be sterile. What if those up to 5% escaped? Well, let's say even ONE percent escaped. Or a fraction of a percent. What if they DID out-compete wild salmon for food, reproduction, and habitat? What if down the line, we realize how terrible for our bodies it is to be eating this GM salmon, and that's all that's left!

the engineered salmon have slightly higher levels of insulinlike growth factor 1, a hormone related to growth hormone. Some studies suggest that high levels of the insulinlike hormone in the bloodstream are associated with greater cancer risk, though it is not clear how much food contributes to hormone levels in the blood.

However, the F.D.A. did an analysis that concluded that even if people ate a lot of the salmon, it would not make a significant difference in the amount of the hormone they would consume.
In the future, people probably won't just be eating GM salmon. I mean, there's already (isn't there?) GM cows and chickens (not GM made in the lab but GM made by selective breeding, right? Still gettin' all my facts straightened out on this stuff as I was misinformed in the past). There's already GM corn and soy. In the future, people will probably be eating multiple different GM foods in a *DAY*. Who knows what impact that will have on our bodies?

I am not a fan of GM foods. Even if it will give us the ability to feed the world--That's not the United State's prerogative IMO. Feed our country, and feed it well. Not GM.

I really hope it's never illegal for a company to put on the label that their food is non-GM. The food in this country is going to be scary in another ten to twenty years.

Thanks for posting this, asecin.

(Side note: I think this topic might be better off in current events...?)

i think this was already posted in S&T a while ago...

I really hope it's never illegal for a company to put on the label that their food is non-GM. The food in this country is going to be scary in another ten to twenty years.

label or not, if you live in the USA and eat wheat or corn you've probably already ingested your fair share of engineered product.

I'm sorry.. but why should I be concerned about eating GM products again?

I'm not talking about environmental issues here... but as far as I can tell there is no reason to worry about eating "GM corn" or "GM salmon"... its all good eats!

I mean, there's already (isn't there?) GM cows and chickens (not GM made in the lab but GM made by selective breeding, right?
All cultivated species have been selectively bred. GM refers to organisms that have had their genes directly manipulated by humans.

I'm sorry.. but why should I be concerned about eating GM products again?
Who knows what this stuff does in our bodies. May be deemed safe to consume based on lab tests ran over the span of a few years--But what about consuming these products for a decade or two? Or in different combinations? It may be safe to consume GM fish, but what about GM fish with GM corn with GM cattle?

label or not, if you live in the USA and eat wheat or corn you've probably already ingested your fair share of engineered product.
I know... It upsets me. Not much you can do but hope more products don't come out... But it seems inevitable...

All cultivated species have been selectively bred. GM refers to organisms that have had their genes directly manipulated by humans.
So, GM would refer to organisms made in the *lab* or even things like bananas that were bred for traits they liked (sweetness and no seeds)?

GM only refers to organisms engineered in a lab. Selective breeding is not the same thing. On an aside, you don't breed seedless bananas (it's impossible, as they have no seeds), you just keep them unfertilised.

the genes of plants and animals naturally change through evolution and natural selection, i dont really get why people think GMOS mite be hamrful. its the same plant just with diffrent genetics. Since when has the genetics of a plant affected how humans utilize it in our bodies?

GM only refers to organisms engineered in a lab. Selective breeding is not the same thing. On an aside, you don't breed seedless bananas (it's impossible, as they have no seeds), you just keep them unfertilised.
Thanks for clearing up the difference between GM and selective breeding.

The original bananas had seeds. 3rd paragraph: http://www.damninteresting.com/the-unfortunate-sex-life-of-the-banana

While that's not a reputable source I don't feel like searching for one. So, I may be misinformed! But I don't think so. I've read it numerous places (and not just online--Nutrition info. handed out by a professor from a reputable source had it).

the genes of plants and animals naturally change through evolution and natural selection, i dont really get why people think GMOS mite be hamrful. its the same plant just with diffrent genetics. Since when has the genetics of a plant affected how humans utilize it in our bodies?

Evolution and natural selection take a lonnnnng time, and it's totally natural--Defective organisms eventually die off. Things not meant to bread together typically don't. Tinkering with genes in a lab happens overnight (well, k, not a night...) and I just don't feel there's enough research done on how this impacts our bodies. It's hard for me to describe. But yeah. It's like fortified foods--Do we *really* take full advantage of the iron added in to a cereal versus the natural iron in a food like spinach? How do we know that this added iron chemical isn't doing harm to our body? We don't know and won't know until some disease pops up. Everyone thought artificial sweeteners were safe--Now they're skeptical. I'm skeptical about GM foods--I'm not willing to accept that they're safe just because an agenda-driven, for-profit agency (i.e. the government) is telling me it's all right to eat.

I was talking about seedless bananas. They don't have seeds (obv). Bananas do, of course, have seeds naturally.

^^ The breed of banana that we have in the store is sterile, yes, but the original type of banana did have large seeds until they bred it with another and the resulting offspring was sterile and therefore didn't have seeds.

No wheat or corn here.... or any other GMO really... shit's disgusting and I don't want it anywhere near my body. I'm telling you, the only safe way to do anything these days is to grow, hunt or catch it yourself. At least until our nature-altering ways leak into the general food chain. :( Makes me sick.

http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/Newsletter/June05GMCornHealthDangerExposed/index.cfm
http://www.inmotionmagazine.com/geff4.html
http://www.holisticmed.com/ge/warning.html

I found this site to be particularly helpful:

http://www.holisticmed.com/ge/avoid.html

I can't wait til I can grow a lot of my own food.

^^Found that last link extremely helpful, too! Plan on reading your other links more thoroughly later.

Figured I'd add this in here... Read it in a textbook for a dietetics class I'm taking, so I'm linking to a source that some might doubt... But yeah, take it or leave it:

Food that is 100 percent organic may carry the new "USDA organic" label and say "100% organic."
Food that is at least 95 percent organic may carry the new seal.
Food that is at least 70 percent organic will list the organic ingredients on the front of the package.
If a product is less than 70 percent organic, the organic ingredients may be listed on the side of the package but cannot say "organic" on the front.
Source: http://www.whfoods.com/organics.php

So... why is something grown in a lab inherently more dangerous than something grown by nature? Things don't evolve the way they do purely for us to eat them, and some things even evolve to develop compounds designed to kill things that eat them. Nature isn't our friend.

Not only is nature out to get us, but the scientific boogeymen are at it as well!

Actually nature is our friend. Unless one is so out of touch with their natural balance they can't see how to work/live/use resources within it's law. Which unfortunately is happening more and more with humanity as a whole. And there will be consequences. There already are.

that gmo stuff gonna make something go wrong in your body. we havent co-evolved alongside these plants and animals for thousands of years without adapting to each other. Why mess with thousands and millions of years or evolution because we think we're right about something?

We thought the offshore oil wells were fine too and look where that got us./

anyways its not like they are adapting these plants to make them healthier. They are adapting them to increase the growing season or make them producable under certain conditions that they wouldnt naturally. Its all about money. At the expense of your health.

i think this was already posted in S&T a while ago...

this is a straw man. I'm gonna go ahead and knock the shit out of your straw man here. Those who oppose GM salmon are going to oppose gm wheat/corn. There is no argument that you have to accept more GM foods because they've squeaked some into the SAD.

and cell phones might give you brain cancer. i'm fine with other people freaking out about this, but i'd like to see some actual evidence (not just a lot of "might"s, "may"s and "has been shown to be associated with"s) before i follow suit.

likewise, i feel like the "it's not natural" argument lacks logic. polio resistance isn't "natural" in humans either, but those vaccines have sure worked out pretty well for everybody.